[cairo] git "performance" patchset # 1 available + a few questions

David Turner dturner at nds.com
Thu Jun 22 00:51:12 PDT 2006

Hello,

the git patchset corresponding to the performance enhancements described
on my web page[1]
is now available at:

  http://turnerdavid.neuf.fr/desktop/dturner-performance-1.patchset

sorry, it took me a long time to get it right, mainly because of lack of
time. I have also a few
questions:

- I have some prototype code to moderately speed up the gradient
rendering code. Before
  providing it, I'd like to understand why, in the pixman gradient code,
a 'stopRange' field
  containing the constant value 0xFFFF is being used to deal with padding ?

  By using a constant 0x10000 for the equivalent of "stopRange", it's
possible to get rid of
  one 64-bit division per pixel, plus some hideous modulo operations (in
case of padding),
  and I would find this a worthy optimization. This introduces no
distinguishible difference
  to the eye, but of course, it fails the Cairo test suite.

  Is there something I'm missing in the pixman/Cairo API that would
prevent us from doing
  this in the current implementation ?

- on my home machine (a Pentium M latop with an Intel 855G graphics
"card"), the "cairogears"
   benchmark indicates that the Cairo image backend is about twice
faster than the XRender one
   (except for the TEXT2 benchmark).

  I'm a bit puzzled, but is this normal (using Ubuntu Dapper with latest
X.Org server package) ?

  What I really want to know is wether improved performance from XRender
is reserved to
  "dedicated" graphics cards, or if there is some way to get good
numbers from "integrated"
  ones ?

Well, that's all for the moment,

Best Regards,

- David Turner

[1] as seen on http://turnerdavid.neuf.fr/desktop/

Information contained in this email message is confidential and may be privileged, and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the postmaster at nds.com and destroy the original message.