[cairo] Using cairo on windows?

Writser Cleveringa writser at xs4all.nl
Sat May 13 05:36:01 PDT 2006

hey all,

For my study I've been making some simple geometrical programs. Things
like computing the convex hull of a set of points, or creating voronoi
diagrams. I would like to use cairo to create some smooth graphics of my
results and to save them as PNG's or SVG's.

However, in windows XP I have lots of troubles getting Cairo up and
running. Even without any backend, I could draw my images to an SDL
surface and save them using SDL. But having SVG and PNG backends on
windows would be even better! I googled about this subject, read the
mailing list, examined your site, but have not found any good information
about this. I have some experience with msys and mingw but found myself
unable to compile cairo on windows. Cairographics.org doesn't even feature
some basic pointers for installing cairo on windows (or if there are, I
haven't found them).

In my opinion it would be really great if one could download a 'Cairo
Development Toolkit' for windows. And if that toolkit has support for PNG
and SVG as well, that would be really awesome. If I want to develop with
SDL on windows, I can download packages:

> SDL-devel-1.2.9-VC6.zip (Visual C++ 5,6,7)
> SDL-devel-1.2.9-mingw32.tar.gz (Mingw32)

and start developing right away. They even have detailed tutorials for
using SDL with mingw or Visual Studio. I believe having similar stuff for
cairo would encourage lots of programmers to experiment with it.
Personally, I could boot linux and develop there (which works like a
charm). But lots of other people can't. On top of that, I'd like to make
windows binaries, so I can show my stuff to Joe Average!

I would like to make windows packages for cairo, or a tutorial about using
cairo on windows. I am no guru however, so any help would be appreciated.
What are your thoughts about this?

regards, Writser