[cairo] Reconsidering hiding the glyph structure

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Sat May 13 12:56:00 PDT 2006

Currently

Cairo doesn't expose any way of converting input text
 * into glyphs, so in order to use the Cairo interfaces that take
 * arrays of glyphs, you must directly access the appropriate
 * underlying font system.
 *

I've found that to do this I basically duplicate a lot of code that is in cairo.

Reasons.

A lot of code uses unicode for drawing cairo only publicaly supports utf8.
I don't want to convert to utf8 just so it can be converted back to
unicode for drawing.
Caching glyphs is useful for optimizing drawing.

I don't see why the glyph struct can not be made public.

Mike