[cairo] Game using cairo

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri May 26 07:46:48 PDT 2006

On Thu, 25 May 2006 14:47:26 -0700, Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 11:11:36PM +0200, Alessandro Pignotti wrote:
>
> > i'm writing a concept game using cairo, i don't know if anyone before
> > tried to use cairo to build game. It's an interesting experiment.
> > performaces are not really good, using xlib backend and a P3 650MhZ i
> > can get a frame about every 1,5 seconds. i can submit screenshots and
> > profile report if you like.
>
> That seems particularly bad.
>
> There's at least one cairo-based game I know:
> http://web.mit.edu/xiphmont/Public/gPlanarity.html

And here's another one:

http://webcvs.cairographics.org/cairo-demo/svgspacewar/

Both of those are "playable" but just barely in some case. They are
also both so simple that we should be able to make them blisteringly
fast. So, yes, there are some performance problems in cairo.

I'm looking forward to spending all of my summer working on improving
cairo performance.