[cairo] Feedback from the 1.3.4 snapshot

Daniel Amelang daniel.amelang at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 18:24:14 PST 2006

On 11/29/06, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:

> Oh, and I've also gotten feedback about a pretty bad text positioning
> bug for the text nautilus is drawing on the background window. I think
> that's a problem from the new banker's rounding, but I'll bring that
> up in a new thread.

I can't wait for the new thread, so here goes:

So, I have this non-FP version of _cairo_lround that I worked up for
ARM that uses artithmetic rounding (patch later today, hopefully. I'm
still waiting on the avoid-floating-point naming issue, though).
Interestingly enough, when I run it on x86, it's not much slower
(maybe 2x slower) than the magic number technique we currently use
that performs banker's rounding. 2x sounds like a lot, but the magic
number technique is so fast that it isn't such a big deal. I'll try to
get some profiles later, so you know exactly what impact it would
have.

Dan