[cairo] nearest neighborhood or bilinear interpolation

Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues Diógenes cerdiogenes at yahoo.com.br
Mon Oct 30 10:28:33 PST 2006

Em Seg, 2006-10-30 às 10:22 -0800, Bill Spitzak escreveu:

> Jeff Muizelaar wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 08:45:13PM -0200, Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues Diógenes wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> It's possible to select what cairo will use when making scale
> >> transformations in imagens (nearest neighborhood or bilinear
> >> interpolation)?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > Have a look at the poorly documented cairo_pattern_set_filter().
> >
> > http://www.cairographics.org/manual/cairo-Patterns.html#cairo-pattern-set-filter
>
> I'm curious about exactly the reason this is wanted. Often people who
> request this actually want a specific subset, and it would be much
> better to implement this specific subset.

Just to kill your curiosity I'm the co-maintainer of gnome-mag and I
trying to discover if cairo can help us in the magnification process,
since cairo supports lot's of back-ends, including Xrender and OpenGL,
and is very easy to change from one to another, so an initial scale can
be done in hardware and more intensive smoothing algorithms can be
applied in software, this way when the user is scrolling the mouse
around the desktop the magnifier screen get's updated quickly and only
when the user stop to move the mouse ore intensive algorithms will be
applied.

Best regards,
Carlos.