[cairo] new win32 makefiles

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Sep 11 12:58:33 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 14:48 -0400, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 14:56:34 -0400, "Vladimir Vukicevic" wrote:
> >
> > I've checked in some patches yesterday that add Makefile.win32's to
> > the source directories, which will build cairo using VC (only tested
> > with VC8).
>
> Thanks, Vlad. Hopefully this will result in less pain for users of
> cairo. Obviously, it will be good when README contains the necessary
> instructions, (or at least pointers to the instructions if they're in
> s separate file).
>
> One thing I'm a bit concerned about is the duplicated information in
> Makefile.win32 and Makefile.am. There are the obvious file lists, and
> worse, (in that errors are more likely to be silent), the version
> information.
>
> Do we have suitable include mechanisms in each system such that we
> could put all the common information into common files?

There are three solutions:

  - Make Makefile.win32 include Makefile.am.  Works with GNU make, and
the clutter in Makefile.am shouldn't be much problem.  Or maybe it is,
if you don't have a POSIX environment and want to have targets like
"test".

  - Rip data parts of Makefile.am's into a separate file, and make
Makefile.am and Makefile.win32 include it.  Other than being ugly, it
works.

  - Make Makefile.am generate Makefile.win32.  This has the potential to
work with other make variants (nmake?).  Makefile.win32's are in the
repo, so any time you modify Makefile.am, Makefile.win32 will be
regenerated, and hopefully committed.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/