[cairo] Serious concerns about cairo

Ralph Giles giles at ghostscript.com
Mon Sep 25 10:27:16 PDT 2006

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 10:02:12PM -0700, Mike Emmel wrote:

> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/demotic
>
> Says its Greek :)

Oh yes. I didn't mention it because I don't know enough Greek to argue
for the proper english spelling. Hieroglyphic is a greek word too :)

> Is cool actually has a fragment of the language if that doesn't it look
> similar to Arabic  even though its not claimed to be and ancestor language
> for
> Arabic. I wonder if it had more influence on modern scripts such as
> arabic and hebrew then is acknowledged.

I'd not thought of that, but there is some calligraphic similarity. The
writing systems are quite different though and I don't think they
much overlapped temporally. Wikipedia claims that the arabic alphabet
does derive originally from hieroglyphs (just like all the other
alphabetic scripts, but unlike the abjad and alphabetic scripts, demotic
retains the multiliteral and ideographic symbols from the classical
hieroglyphic system.

Cheers,
 -r