[cairo] Vertical text

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sun Apr 1 10:51:19 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 06:49 -0400, Olivier Jolet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m trying to draw a text vertically, but I always get a 90 degree
> rotation of the whole text and not of each character.
>
> The method I tried to use is font matrix transformation to a PI/2
> rotation.
>
> What is incorrect in my sequence? How can I do to rotate each
> character?

Cairo does not currently support vertical text.  It most probably will
in cairo-1.6.0.  See
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2007-January/009372.html

However, the freetype backend already supports vertical text.  See
tests/ft-text-vertical-layout-type1.c in cairo's source dis

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759