[cairo] Atomic reference counting

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Apr 4 17:18:17 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 11:53:14 +0100, Chris Wilson wrote:
> +/* -*- Mode: c; c-basic-offset: 4; indent-tabs-mode: t; tab-width: 8; -*- */
> +/* cairo - a vector graphics library with display and print output
> + *
> + * This file is adapted from routines taken from GLib, glib/gatomic.c.
> + * Copyright (C) 2003 Sebastian Wilhelmi
> + *
> + * Cairo integration and additional routines,
> + * Copyright (C) 2007 Chris Wilson
> + *
> + * This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
> + * modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
> + * License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
> + * version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This is actually a small problem.

Cairo's license is both the LGPL and the MPL, so adding this code as
is would make cairo not usable under the MPL anymore.

Solutions could be to find the equivalent code elsewhere, (one of the
BSDs perhaps?), to determine that it could only be implemented one
way anyway, so there's not any copyright concern, or to just ask
Sebastian if he would relicense the code as LGPL+MPL.

On this second point, from a quick glance the glib stuff looks
overengineered compared to what cairo actually needs. I haven't looked
closely, but are you really using all of that for what cairo needs?