[cairo] Pixman merging - please don't touch pixman

Soeren Sandmann sandmann at daimi.au.dk
Tue Apr 17 10:07:57 PDT 2007

Hi,

As a heads up, I am currently working on merging the pixman/fb
implementations. Since I'll be merging pixman into fb, I ask that
people

         don't commit substantial stuff to pixman

without first talking to me (I'm ssp on IRC). I don't intend to
discourage pixman development; just talk to me first before merging.

Here is a rough roadmap:

1. Get libraries back in sync. There are performance improvements in
   pixman, and bugfixes and new features in X. For various reasons
   it's better to bring the X version up to pixman rather than the
   other way around.

2. Make the switch-of-doom code in fbpict use fbCompositeRect() as
   another special case. Ie., get rid of duplicated region walking
   code.

3. Write new library. Add region code from pixman.

4. Starting with fbCompositeRect(), move code from X to the library
   gradually, while keeping things working at all times.

5. Link cairo to the new library.

Soren