[cairo] Finer-grained fallbacks for the PostScript backend

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Aug 27 16:23:43 PDT 2007

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:36:23 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> Nice work indeed.  So, what are we going to do about the fact that all
> current evince installations will misrender such cairo-generated PDF
> files?  Are we going to try to work around it or just say "upgrade"?

I can't imagine any useful workaround. About the only thing we could
do is to generate old-style PDF, (one giant image per page with any
fallback), and that's really not interesting.

Particularly since we would need some mechanism for the cairo-using
application to request that ugly PDF, (since I definitely don't want
to require the application to do anything special to get _good_ PDF),
but any application already has such a workaround already:

	image = cairo_image_surface_create (...);

	render_stuff (image);

	cairo_set_source_surface (cr_pdf, 0, 0);
	cairo_paint (cr);

I do think we should try to ensure that a cairo release and a poppler
release with the bug fixes happen at close to the same time though to
minimize the pain.