[cairo] Cairo on new nvidia "render" improvements

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Wed Dec 5 01:44:59 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 08:00 +0200, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> 2007/12/5, Pete <pete at shinners.org>:
> > Has anyone been able to compare cairo running under the new Nvidia beta drivers?
> > It looks like the RENDER improvements have been insanely improved? I'm hoping
> > this will hit the common paths used by Cairo as well?
>
> I'm going to try this out (hopefully) later today, and I'll be sure to
> report what I find.
>
> > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=934
>
> The difference sounds quite large (from minutes to < second), but
> since it's going from "no hardware" to "no software" I guess it
> *could* be that slow initially...

No the nvidia driver is really that slow! (As everyone who runs
cairo-perf on such a system can attest to). Just to give some context,
here's the complete output of a locally hacked render_bench
(http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ickle/render_bench):

*** ROUND 1 ***
Test XRender: non-scaled OVER blends
Time: 0.056 sec.
Test XRender (pixmap): non-scaled OVER blends
Time: 0.080 sec.
Test imlib: non-scaled OVER blends
Time: 0.240 sec.
Test cairo-image: non-scaled OVER blends
Time: 0.281 sec.
Test cairo-xlib: non-scaled OVER blends
Time: 0.055 sec.
Test cairo-xlib (pixmap): non-scaled OVER blends
Time: 0.093 sec.

*** ROUND 2 ***
Test XRender: 1/2 scaled OVER blends
Time: 4.745 sec.
Test XRender (pixmap): 1/2 scaled OVER blends
Time: 4.723 sec.
Test imlib: 1/2 scaled OVER blends
Time: 0.088 sec.
Test cairo-image: 1/2 scaled OVER blends
Time: 0.663 sec.
Test cairo-xlib: 1/2 scaled OVER blends
Time: 5.493 sec.
Test cairo-xlib (pixmap): 1/2 scaled OVER blends
Time: 5.497 sec.

*** ROUND 3 ***
Test XRender: 2x smooth scaled OVER blends
Time: 83.410 sec.
Test XRender (pixmap): 2x smooth scaled OVER blends
Time: 83.653 sec.
Test imlib: 2x smooth scaled OVER blends
Time: 3.642 sec.
Test cairo-image: 2x smooth scaled OVER blends
Time: 10.328 sec.
Test cairo-xlib: 2x smooth scaled OVER blends
Time: 83.099 sec.
Test cairo-xlib (pixmap): 2x smooth scaled OVER blends
Time: 83.184 sec.

*** ROUND 4 ***
Test XRender: 2x nearest scaled OVER blends
Time: 70.237 sec.
Test XRender (pixmap): 2x nearest scaled OVER blends
Time: 70.180 sec.
Test imlib: 2x nearest scaled OVER blends
Time: 1.076 sec.
Test cairo-image: 2x nearest scaled OVER blends
Time: 3.400 sec.
Test cairo-xlib: 2x nearest scaled OVER blends
Time: 70.510 sec.
Test cairo-xlib (pixmap): 2x nearest scaled OVER blends
Time: 71.034 sec.

*** ROUND 6 ***
Test XRender: general nearest scaled OVER blends
Time: 0.016 sec. [1]
Test XRender (pixmap): general nearest scaled OVER blends
Time: 100.012 sec.
Test imlib: general nearest scaled OVER blends
Time: 2.079 sec.
Test cairo-image: general nearest scaled OVER blends
Time: 6.874 sec.
Test cairo-xlib: general nearest scaled OVER blends
Time: 98.082 sec.
Test cairo-xlib (pixmap): general nearest scaled OVER blends
Time: 98.939 sec.

*** ROUND 7 ***
Test XRender: general smooth scaled OVER blends
Time: 123.766 sec.
Test XRender (pixmap): general smooth scaled OVER blends
Time: 128.124 sec.
Test imlib: general smooth scaled OVER blends
Time: 13.479 sec.
Test cairo-image: general smooth scaled OVER blends
Time: 22.077 sec.
Test cairo-xlib: general smooth scaled OVER blends
Time: 128.852 sec.
Test cairo-xlib (pixmap): general smooth scaled OVER blends
Time: 127.957 sec.

[1] Disappeared for a cup of coffee and g-s-s kicked in.
--
Chris Wilson