[cairo] Python SVG Surface redux

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Dec 14 14:05:43 PST 2007

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:59:57 -0800, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:41:48 +0200, Donn wrote:
> > 1. so why does the surface s2 produce an SVG file with an embedded
> > image?

I answered that above, but the related question is why *didn't* the
second example have the same bug? The answer there is due to cairo
internals that aren't actually all that interesting. The meta-surface
used for the top-level svg surface is wrapped in an additional
"paginated surface" layer, but the similar surface created as part of
the group is not. And the unnecessary-rasterization bug was only in
the paginated layer.

> Anybody want to take a look into fixing whatever bug is lurking if the
> above is changed to #if 1? That's definitely a fix that would be good
> to get in before cairo 1.6. Actually it's even possible that the bug
> has since been fixed. I'll see what the test suite says.

The test suite says that things are fine. I made the change and
there's definitely no longer any crash in the mask test which the
comment said the workaround was trying to avoid.

Meanwhile, cairo is really a mess right now and it's hard to use the
test suite to verify if a change breaks anything. I'm getting 23
failures currently. Yuck! We really need to fix things up---we never
should have let things get that bad.

Anyway, I've now pushed out the change, so it will appear in the next
cairo 1.5 snapshot and in the upcoming 1.6 release. If only all bugs
were so easy to fix:

	Donn: "I noticed cairo doing something I don't like."
	Carl: "OK, I just deleted that code. Have fun."

Have fun,