[cairo] Building Cairo on RH 7.3

Robert Love rblove at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 07:38:07 PST 2007

I want to build Gtk+2 for a very old RH linux 7.3.  I can't update the base
system and don't have root access. I'm trying to do everything in $HOME.
Only Cairo won't build.  All the other dependencies for Gtk+ have been built
successfully.

I've tried 1.4.12, 1.2.2.  1.2.6 and 1.5.4.  All fail to build out of the
box.  Each version has different problems. I'm about to pull out my
remaining hair. The version of  GCC is 2.8.1

First, does anyone know if Cairo has been built for RH 7.3?  Is this the
right place to go for help?

All insight appreciated.