[cairo] cairo 1.4.12 on Solaris 10, Sparc

Nguyen Vu Hung vuhung16plus at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 10:04:12 PST 2007

2007/12/20, sam sirlin <samuel.w.sirlin at jpl.nasa.gov>:

> BTW I've installed a bunch of stuff including cairo 1.4.12 for solaris
> 10. I found

Actually, I made it too. What I've reported are some test cases are failed.

> - remove /usr/sfw from (library) paths, don't use the stuff there as
>   it's old and gcc is there but doesn't seem built correctly, which
>   makes linking troublesome, worse if you have your own version
>   of gcc. At first sfw looked interesting, but now I think it's mostly
>   useless. If you were to use it you probably have to  stick to old
>   versions of things (e.g. like cairo).
It is not directly related to cairo: /usr/sfw looks like an alien to me.
Is is a good idea to expunge it from my $PATH?

We've something new other than x86 so it was a sparc.
Sun's cc should be fun, but is old and is not "compatible" with gcc-ready code.

It cairo can be compiled under a platform, probably it will compile
under other platforms.

I was very suprised when cairo was smoothy compiled: configure, make,
make install ( with gnu tools ).

> - install (at least most everything in /usr/sfw) for general use, (can
>   be non-root) on some nfs mount area (e.g. /other/local). Build all by
>   hand - most are pretty painless. This way you have easy control of
>   what's there, and can update as necessary. Seems like a lot of work,
>   but once the main stuff is built adding/upgrading is relatively
>   painless.

I don't know what is /usr/sfw, but as far as I know, /usr/local is
good choice, ins't it?

> - I've been using gcc 4.1.2. different gcc versions get installed in
>   separate places, with "gcc" a perl script to invoke them with the
>   right paths, links, run-paths

Can you share you gcc perl script?

--
Best Regards,