[cairo] Compile Mac OS X universal binary of cairo

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Feb 6 11:31:58 PST 2007

Carl Worth wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 11:03:19 -0500, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> This sort of problem is exactly why I advocated against a configure-
>> time endian check when this code was added
>
> What do you suggest as a replacement?
>
>> and then tried to get at least a special case made for Mac OS X.
>
> What would the special case look like?

Here is the original thread where I mentioned this:

     http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2006-October/008285.html

and my example (which would just need to be modified accordingly
for the stuff you are defining for word order):

     http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2006-October/008292.html

Bill Spitzak also posted a response indicating that __BIG_ENDIAN__
is defined when compiling PPC or PPC64:

     http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2006-October/008297.html

which would reduce the conditional code to:

     #ifdef __BIG_ENDIAN__
     ... force big-endian usage ...
     #elif defined(__APPLE__)
     ... force little-endian usage ...
     #endif

Ideally, you'd just include that in the autoconf-generated config
header that defines the word order stuff, and the compiler would
do the rest.  The code would work for both "fat" builds as well
as traditional non-fat builds that are later merged with lipo, and
other platforms would happily ignore it and work as they do now.