[cairo] backend image fallbacks

Jonatan Liljedahl lijon at kymatica.com
Wed Feb 7 13:48:52 PST 2007

Hi there.
I'm using cairo (1.3.12) in my project: http://kymatica.com/kyce

Currently I use it only to draw to screen (GdkDrawable), but am trying
to use it for exporting to PDF or PS (for printing) and now I have some
problems/questions:

Everything is exported as an image fallback, is there any way I can know
what operations will fallback as an image?

Why not falling back only on the parts that really needs to be rendered
as images? In my example, everything is rendered as a bad resolution
image, even text and non-transparent lines, etc... see attached PDF.
And as you see, the resolution is terrible! But using
cairo_surface_set_fallback_resolution() to set a higher resolution
(600x600) doesn't seem to work. Is this a bug?

Isn't transparency supported in PDF? (As you see in
http://kymatica.com/uploads/Software/kyce_score.png I have a lot of
transparency...)

When transparency is not supported, would it be possible to split shapes
in several with different colors to fake a transparency? and when the
background behind a transparent surface is solid color, we could only
calculate a new color instead of using real transparency...

And BTW, thanks for cairo!
--
/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-