[cairo] Win32 makefiles patch

Daniel Amelang daniel.amelang at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 21:16:20 PST 2007

On 2/12/07, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 06:41 -0500, Daniel Amelang wrote:
> >
> > The Makefile.win32 makefiles are out-of-date.
>
> Does the win32 make used with these files support includes?  In that
> case we should move some of the shared lists of files into a
> separate .mk file and include it from the .am and .win32 ones.

Yes, the cairo win32 makefiles would support includes, especially
since they were written to be used with GNU make. At least that's what
I assume as nmake (MS's make) choked on them, but GNU make didn't.

While we're on the topic, I've discovered some interesting things
about these makefiles. They assume to be used with very specific build
tools: GNU make, a posix shell, grep, sed and sort (there may be more
possibly). And they also assume a MS toolchain (cl, link). So it looks
like the intended build environment is MSYS (or Cygwin?) with MSVC++.

I guess it would be too much to expect to be able ./configure Cairo in
MSYS to use MSVC++. If one could, there would really be no need for
win32-specific build files. I tried this once, but got stuck somewhere
around making pkg-config happy. I tried the same in cygwin, but
quickly learned that cygwin and MSVC++ don't mix easily.

So, until someone has success with ./configure'ing with MSYS and
MSVC++, I guess the Makefile.win32 approach is the way to go. I'd
prefer to use a config.h.win32 instead defining everything in the
CFLAGS part like the current Makefile.win32's do, but Vlad probably
has his reasons for that.

That's all I have to say about my adventures in building cairo on win32 :)

Dan