[cairo] Re: Thread-specific linked-list for locked FT_Face objects

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Feb 13 16:30:11 PST 2007

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:16:28 -0800, Carl Worth wrote:
> So here's a patchset that ignores that problem for now. It's basically
> the same as the original series I proposed, (before the
> thread-specific linked-list---simply adding a mutex to the internal
> _cairo_ft_unscaled_font_lock/unlock_face), but with an explicit
> release of the mutex at the end of the public
> cairo_ft_scaled_font_lock_mutex and re-acquisition at the beginning of
> cairo_ft_scaled_font_unlock_mutex.

I've gone ahead and pushed this out now.

It definitely fixes a fair amount of problems in cairo itself that
were easily exposed by the toy text API as used in the
pthread-show-text test case.

It does not yet take the necessary care to ensure that cairo is not
calling into freetype API from multiple threads, (even ignoring the
issue of handing FT_Face objects up to the user).

But David says he will be looking into that separately.

David, hopefully these changes I just pushed don't cause too much
trouble for you. (I don't think they should, this series was _much_
less invasive than the thread-specific linked-list nightmare patch
series).