[cairo] Pycairo and ImageSurface

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Feb 21 14:24:33 PST 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:49:32 -0600, "Glenn Murphy" wrote:
> > Now, if that's _still_ too slow, then the next thing to address is
> > perhaps in the X server itself, (ideally, it would be able to use the
> > video hardware for the rotation, and not require much CPU at all). So,
> > it's a question of how good the support is for rotated images in your
> > server's implementation of the Render extension.
>
> Switching to use an Xlib surface didn't really help.  So you're saying that
> it's a problem with my X server setup?

I'm not saying that you've necessarily got anything setup incorrectly.
It's just that chasing the performance problem at that point will
probably lead into the X server.

And in the X server, there are projects to improve the support of the
Render extension, (such as new acceleration architectures like EXA or
maybe even inside of a server like XGL---I don't know).

So some of this is stuff that still needs to be finished upstream in
the X server. Though something like image transformation is something
that should be relatively easy to get accelerated. Hopefully there
won't be any long wait there.

> Cairo itself should be using the Render extension already?

Yes, cairo does always use the Render extension when the X server
provides it.

> Sorry for the simple questions, I'm still new to cairo.

No worries.

> > Are you using a cairo snapshot between 1.3.2 and 1.3.12?
>
> Yep, that was the problem.  Thanks a lot for the help.

Good, I'm glad that helped.