[cairo] Cairo efficiency with massively long lines

Damon Chaplin damon at karuna.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Feb 23 14:36:58 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 16:43 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 21:26 +0000, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 13:09 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> > > Greetings Cairo folks. A few people here were incredibly helpful with my
> > > last questions about planning the move of Ardour (http://ardour.org) to
> > > a Cairo-based canvas. We've run into another issue with our current use
> > > of GnomeCanvas, and I wanted to check that Cairo would handle it
> > > properly before I waste time trying to find a workaround.
> > >
> > > Will Cairo efficiently render a line that has two coordinates at zero
> > > and (say) 2^32-1 or 2^64-1 (on the x-axis) ?
> >
> > You might run into cairo's fixed point integers limit (internally it
> > uses a 32-bit int with 16 bits for the integer value and 16-bits for the
> > fractional part).
>
> oh no. thats a disaster for us. the old GnomeCanvas used floats and we
> had all kinds of icky hacks to deal with the fact that it wasn't
> accurate over the full range that we actually needed. now it uses
> doubles (life is good!), and we're about ready to move on to 64 bit
> ranges. this could be a nasty setback. our coordinate space spans the
> entire range of possible sample values from 0 .. 2^N-1 where N is
> currently 32 and will move to 64.

It's not as bad as it sounds. The 16-bit limit only applies to the
transformed coordinates of the paths to be drawn. So as long as you
don't have a screen with 65536 pixels across you should be able to work
around it.

GooCanvas already has code to work around the limit, so I think it is
now only limited by the size of the scrolled GDK window, which is a
signed 32-bit int. (Though I haven't tested it up to that limit yet.)

I have even thought of adding another mode to the canvas where it
handles scrolling itself, without scrolling a GDK window. Then we would
only be limited by the double coordinates. I'm not sure how many people
would need this though.

> > > The current GnomeCanvas code generates a "micro-tile array" (UTA; a list
> > > of 32x32 pixel cells) to describe the areas of the image that need to be
> > > re-rendered, and with a line like this, the UTA is obvously huge - it
> > > correctly reflects the fact that the area to be re-rendered is enormous.
> > > As a result, when our canvas has numerous of these objects on it, any
> > > operations that cause a recomputation of what needs to be rendered are
> > > dog slow.
> > >
> > > Does Cairo's internal implementation correctly handle this kind of
> > > situation? Presumably, the correct limitation is to not compute a UTA
> > > that extends beyond the current visible bounds of the
> > > image/canvas/pixbuf. I'd appreciate clarification on how Cairo does
> > > this.
> >
> > My inclination would be to write your own custom canvas items that only
> > draw what is visible. Though I hope someone who knows more can give a
> > definitive answer.
>
> I know enough about the canvas to know what is going on here. The
> problem isn't drawing. The canvas has an update phase, done once per
> redraw, and the update phase lets the items that will be rendered update
> their data structures (e.g. after they've had a color or coordinate or
> other property change). The existing line item needs to figure out what
> parts of itself might need redrawing, and after we change some
> properties, the answer is "everything". this means 2^N-1 pixels (at
> least). the slowdown doesn't occur during rendering - in fact, the lines
> in question are not even visible. the slowdown is all during this
> "update" phase.
>
> changing the canvas architecture doesn't seem like an option for us, but
> what is really needed is an update phase that says "update your own
> stuff, oh, and by the way, the only part of you that will be rendered
> lies within the following clip path ...."
>
> this would allow the item to do a saner evaluation of "what needs to be
> re-rendered next time we are rendered" than the current design, which
> says "update your own stuff, and i'll give you no hints at all about
> which parts of you are visible", thus forcing an evaluation of the
> entire extent of the item.

I don't think you'll have a problem with GooCanvas there. In your item's
update function you just need to update the item's bounds and call
request_redraw() on the old & new bounds. GooCanvas should calculate
what parts of the visible window need redrawing. It doesn't use anything
like a microtile array so should be very quick.

My main concern would be rendering speed, though you could try it out to
see if it is fast enough.

Damon