[cairo] Image scaling performance on X

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Tue Feb 27 00:19:50 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 02:14 -0500, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> I recently ran into a serious issue with image scaling performance in
> cairo-based Gecko builds on Linux [1].  I spent some time looking at the Gecko
> end of the code, but at the moment it's looking to me like this is a performance
> problem in Render...  It's definitely happening with an older Render (0.9 over
> here), and possibly also with whatever Render Fedora Core 6 ships.
>
> Is there by any chance an existing ticket somewhere tracking this?  If this is
> strongly dependent on the Render version, would it be possible to work around
> older Render versions somehow?

Much of Render can't be accelerated with XAA, which is what most 2d
drivers use, resulting in awful performance.  We've been working on EXA
to replace XAA, and I'm using it daily now, but most drivers still need
some more love before EXA can be flipped to be the default on them.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com