[cairo] Improving PDF output

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Jan 8 07:24:15 PST 2007

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 13:53:57 +0000, Alp Toker wrote:
> I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on these approaches to improving
> PDF output in Cairo.

Behdad and Kristian have already said so, but I'd like to as well:

My only thought is: Thank you very much!

The only really hard part[*] about declaring 1.2 as a stable release
with "supported" PDF output was the fact that text was not cut-and-
pasteable. That was an embarrassing deficiency that we've all wanted
to make disappear but nobody has had time to give the issue any
attention yet.

Well, my other thought is: Please get us the code quickly so we can
get it into cairo. Even if the code isn't perfectly clean, let's get
it out in the open where smart people like Behdad, Kristian, and
Adrian can polish it up as needed.

-Carl

[*] Well, another hard part is the fact that most gradients trigger
rasterization in PDF. Miklós made a good start toward fixing this up:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2006-August/007648.html

and I'd love to see someone polish that work up so we can get it
included.