[cairo] Lander Game

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Jan 8 17:08:14 PST 2007

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 23:18:42 +0000, "Alex Mac" wrote:
> > Is OpenGL a requirement for running the QT-based lander? Anything I
> > can do otherwise?
>
> I'm not sure what distro you are using but on ubuntu "sudo apt-get
> install python-qt4-gl" should fix that

OK, That changed the behavior anyway. What I get now is:

	Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
	QGLContext::makeCurrent(): Cannot make invalid context current.

So my question still stands. Is there a way to run a non-OpenGL
version of lander-qt4?

> are you running an old version of Gtk?
>
> I'm using Gtk 2.10.6 and gnome-python-desktop 2.17.1

I'm pretty much always running the latest GTK+. But I hadn't realized
that my pygtk installation was out of date.

So, I've got it running now, and yes, it's horribly slow.

As mentioned before, the speed gets much better if I simply disable
the re-rendering of the entire background every time, (then I get to
see the very cute vectorized, fading, emissions from the rocket---well
done). You should be able to get an almost identical speedup by simply
caching the background and then only updating parts of the background
that are dirtied.

As for an animated background, the same should apply. Just update
parts the have changed.

I'd still like to see if there's any useful cairo vs. QT comparison to
be had here. So let me know if I should be able to run this without
having a full-blown OpenGL implementation available in my X server.