[cairo] cairo performance in OpenOffice

Radek Doulík rodo at novell.com
Tue Jan 23 02:29:40 PST 2007

Hi,

	As you might know I am using cairo in OpenOffice canvas implementation
for some time. It works pretty well, but it is still reaching some
bottlenecks. I think the most critical part for us are slow compositions
of large surfaces with alpha channel.

	http://go-oo.org/ooo-build/test/draw/alltransitions.odp presentation
might be used as test case, it contains 162 types of slide transitions.
Open it in OpenOffice, make sure you have the cairo backend enabled
(menu Tools/Options... in dialog enable OpenOffice.org/View/Use hardware
acceleration). Press F5 to run slideshow. Most of them run reasonably
fast, but some are slower - these with non-rectangular drawing - like
#48 ellipseWipe or fading ones #153 - #156.

	I heard there is a small library, which can be preloaded which helps to
trace cairo calls/usage. Could you point me to it, so I can try to get
you simpler test case(s)?

Cheers
Radek