[cairo] cairo windows development setup?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jul 3 02:43:59 PDT 2007

Tor Lillqvist wrote:

> The advantage of using GNU tools for complexy things like the GTK+
> stack, GIMP, GNOME libraries etc is that you don't have to maintain a
> parallel build infrastructure, but use the same configure and
> Makefile.am as on POSIX.

Don't you have to use msys as well as MinGW for this, since mingw its
self uses `cmd' for its Make shell? Not that that's a really big deal -
msys is not exactly hard to install.

The main thing I dislike about msys, other than its general clunkyness,
is that it's not possible to generate a Visual Studio project file or an
NMakefile using it. That's usually OK if you're doing pure C work (if
you're paranoid enough about keeping memory allocation and release in
the same DLL) but due to incompatible ABIs it's completely useless if
you have a C++ app that must be buildable in Visual Studio.

In other words, msys is a decent workaround if a full cross platform
build system isn't available.

--
Craig Ringer