[cairo] Survey of polygon rasterization techniques

Mike Shaver mike.shaver at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 00:08:28 PDT 2007

On 7/31/07, Jeff Muizelaar <jeff at infidigm.net> wrote:
> I had a closer look at gameswf_tesselate.cpp and it notes that flash
> does not seem to use self-intersecting polygons. If this is true, it
> certainly presents an interesting optimization opportunity. However,
> without a way to tell cairo that the resulting polygon does not
> self-intersect it would be more difficult to take advantage of.

At least in the case of Mozilla, we can indicate reliably that our
polygons (trapezoids) don't self-intersect, possibly excepting some
SVG or canvas cases.  Would providing API for sharing that knowledge
with cairo be interesting?

(Vlad tells me that there are some cases in which the traps generated
by the stroke/fill code intersect with others, due to a bug, but I'm
sure he can elaborate more reliably than I can!)

Don't know about the AA model for gameswf, off-hand.

Mike