[cairo] cairo_image_surface_create_from_???

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sat Mar 10 21:56:32 PST 2007

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 23:50:24 -0800 (PST), Kevin Brooks wrote:
> Are we going to have other image supports in the
> future like:
>
> cairo_surface_t* cairo_image_surface_create_from_jpg
> cairo_surface_t* cairo_image_surface_create_from_bmp
> cairo_surface_t* cairo_image_surface_create_from_tiff

It's not very likely.

We don't want to let the number of dependencies that cairo has grow
arbitrarily.

And cairo does already allow you to create an image surface from a
buffer of data with the cairo_image_surface_create_for_data
function. So it is already possible to load an image through whatever
means you have available and then create an image surface from
it---all with code built on top of the existing cairo interface.

Some people have even suggested the possibility of a cairo-friendly
interface for creating such image surfaces, (perhaps by building on
top of an existing full-functioned image library whose name I don't
recall now).