[cairo] font to use for tests

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Fri May 18 18:09:07 PDT 2007

Peter> Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> I'm running ghostscript-8.15.3 from Fedora Core 6.

Peter> Cool, downgrading from 8.57 to 8.15 (the gs815os2.zip package)
Peter> helps to pass a lot more tests, even most of the argb32 ones. :-)

Peter> So, are later GS versions broken in some way?

Given the $subject, I presume the font rendering changes are causing the
resulting images to differ.

So the tests are being affected by Ghostscript's progressions in font
rendering quality.

The most notable change is support for something akin to freetype's
patent-free hinting mode for truetype fonts.  (Different code but the
same reason and similar outcomes, IIRC.)

I beleive there were also quality progressions with type1 and cff fonts.

There were also some other changes which, but I bet the better font
hinting is the most relevant to this thread.

-JimC