[cairo] cairo_format_t [was: static array allocation caused a segfault]

Bill Spitzak spitzak at thefoundry.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 04:12:30 PST 2007

The reason for ARGB32 is to indicate that the bytes are stored in a
32-bit word in native endian order. On current hardware design this is
very important. ARGB32 is the only way to describe the "fast" format
used by most graphics in a way that is portable between big-endian and
little-endian machines, due to the hardware bus being designed to keep
32-bit quantities in the same order.

Hardware seems always to be described in bits per pixel, not bits per
channel.

I think maybe a no-underscore number could indicate the size of the
datatype the pixel is packed into, and if missing it indicates the pixel
is in memory-address order. Thus:

ARGB32 = current scheme

ARGB32_8_8_8_8 = same, but with the channels fully specified.

BGRA_8_8_8_8 = same as ARGB32 on big-endian machine

xRGB32 = proper description of RGB24 with an 8-bit 'x' pad field

RGB_8_8_8 = most likely layout, in memory-address order, of data that
really is 24 bits per pixel and not 32.

RGB32_10_10_10 = Cineon format with 10-bit fields packed into a 32-bit
number and right-justified

--
Bill Spitzak, Senior Software Engineer
The Foundry, 1 Wardour Street, London, W1D 6PA, UK