[cairo] Performance analysis of a Cairo application

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 12:30:35 PDT 2007

2007/10/19, Jeff Muizelaar <jeff at infidigm.net>:
[snip profiling asynchronous processes woes]
> I worked around this with your example by using an image surface instead
> of an X surface. I was able to get the following results:

Note that this naturally means that any operations that your graphics
driver would be able to push to the hardware will potentially be
slower since it's done fully in software.

But I guess that's a very reasonable way to benchmark usage *inside*
your program, since you can't really count on all drivers to be
equally fast for any given operation. Thinking about this, the
fallback operations should be pretty much the same as what happens
with image surface always, right (both using pixman for the actual
operation)? So using image surfaces should be a decent way to ensure
the worst case scenario is usable and any acceleration that happens is
only a bonus...

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi