[cairo] GIF, PNG and MNG supports

Nguyen Vu Hung vuhung16plus at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 23:19:56 PDT 2007

Hello all,

As you may already know, current version of cairo suports PNG, but not GIF
and MNG.
And according to wikipedia, GIF patent is expired as of 2003[2] and
therefore, we can freely use GIF format.
The MNG format is stated as a replacement for GIF, but as of now, major
browsers like IE6, IE7, Firefox do not support MNG ( yet ).
The bad thing with PNG is that it does not support animation - which is a
fancy feature that is used widely on the web.

So, my question is: Do you need GIF ( and/or MNG ) support for cairo?
I don't know how hard it is to implementing those features but for my needs,
they are worth to be implemented[1]

[1] http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2007-January/009145.html
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIF

--