[cairo] GIF, PNG and MNG supports

Nguyen Vu Hung vuhung16plus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 22:26:20 PDT 2007

2007/10/23, Stuart Parmenter <stuartp at gmail.com>:
> Image decoders don't belong in cairo.  the PNG stuff was done to make
> testing easier and should have probably been done in an external
> library.  It would be great to see someone put together an little
> external helper library to load images in to cairo surfaces though.
>
> stuart

As stated in the README file:

----
What is cairo
=============
Cairo is a 2D graphics library with support for multiple output
devices. Currently supported output targets include the X Window
System, win32, and image buffers, as well as PDF, PostScript, and SVG
file output. Experimental backends include OpenGL (through glitz),
Quartz, XCB, BeOS, OS/2, and DirectFB.
----

I think make cairo support GIF output is a good thing to do.
Now GIF patent is expired so more and more applications are coming
back to support GIF. There is no more politic bullshit regarding GIF
anymore. IMO, PNG has better than GIF in compression ratio but PNG
does not support animation. MNG is the future of both GIF and PNG. So
why we limit ourself in just PNG?

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu