[cairo] Using 1.4.x on ARM targets

Marc Singer elf at synapse.com
Sat Sep 8 15:59:29 PDT 2007

I'm using Cairo memory image surfaces to build images for a UI.  The UI
works fine on an x86 PC running Linux.  I'm doing the final BLT to an X
window and it's great.  On ARM, I'm only been able to build 1.2.6 and
have it work.  Anything from 1.4.0 to 1.4.10, while faster :-), doesn't
render properly.  Same UI code.

I'm building with the gcc-3.4.4 compiler and my ABI is the old ARM ABI,
but I'm using soft-float.

The symptom is that I can draw a simple graphic that fills the surface
and I can erase the surface to a color.  These operations render
properly on the ARM on all versions of the library I've tried.  In every
1.4.x version of the library, I cannot draw text and the scaled
renderings with alpha blending only draw vertical lines that seem to be
at the edge of the image being drawn.

At this point, I'm looking for some feedback.

  1) Is this a known symptom?
  2) Should it just work on ARM?

BTW, I'm configuring the library as follows:

              --host=arm-linux\
                      --without-x\
                      --disable-directfb\
                      --disable-xlib\