[cairo] PDF text doesn't render

Baz brian.ewins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 09:48:45 PDT 2007

On 24/09/2007, Adam Lichtl <alichtl at bnl.gov> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Attached is the config.log file from my cairo-1.4.10 build.  Running
> "freetype-config --version" gives 9.3.3.
>
> -Adam

Thanks! That is very useful...snipping down to the most interesting bits:

[snip]
> Package freetype2 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `freetype2.pc'
> No package 'freetype2' found
> configure:27110: $? = 1
> Package freetype2 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `freetype2.pc'
> No package 'freetype2' found
> configure:27138: result: no
> configure:27140: result: no
> configure:27162: checking for freetype-config
> configure:27180: found /usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config
> configure:27193: result: /usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config
> configure:27205: checking freetype2 libtool version
> configure:27217: result: 9.3.3 - OK
[snip]
> CAIRO_HAS_ATSUI_FONT_FALSE=''
> CAIRO_HAS_ATSUI_FONT_TRUE='#'
[snip]
> CAIRO_HAS_FT_FONT_FALSE='#'
> CAIRO_HAS_FT_FONT_TRUE=''

So:
- its not an atsui problem - what I saw is a different bug :(
- freetype-config reporting 9.3.3 is freetype v 2.1.4 ... released 2003.
- I was unable to reproduce your bug, but I have freetype 2.3.5 ...
released 2007.

Right now I'd suspect an old, fixed, freetype bug is causing your
problem (by causing a failure that triggers the fallback, and so on).
If that's the case, the bug probably isn't mac-specific and we should
be able to reproduce it on linux with an equally old freetype? It'd be
nice if someone tried this. You don't need to have Preview to try it
out, just run pdffonts on the output of Adam's test program at the
start of this thread, if you hit the bug it'll show a font called
Cairo-x-y for some numbers x, y.

I may have Apple X11 still sitting on one of my macs to try to
reproduce this myself (freetype's downloads only go back to 2.1.10),
I'll have a look.

BTW Adrian: my atsui doc that I thought had reproduced the problem
lists Inconsolata correctly when you run it through pdffonts, so its a
different bug. I didn't try this with your patches applied yet.

Cheers,
Baz