[cairo] pango + cairo userfont

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Apr 8 12:10:46 PDT 2008

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:01:04 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 14:46 -0400, Carl Worth wrote:
> > If you are finding and selecting fonts with fontconfig and freetype
> > then you should be able to use cairo_ft_font_face_create_for_pattern
> > and cairo_ft_font_face_create_for_ft_face together with
> > cairo_set_font_face to render with any font that you can select.
>
> But then cairo_set_font_face is irrelevant when using pangocairo.
>
> To answer the original question, if you just want to use pango for font
> enumeration, selection, and rendering, it works today.  If you want to
> choose the font using freetype and fontconfig yourself and just have
> pango use it for rendering, it doesn't work yet.

Oops. I apologize for spreading misinformation. I guess I just haven't
played with pango's font selection mechanisms. (But I should have
realized I was wrong since I do know that pango will render glyphs
from many separate fonts as necessary to satisfy the needs of the
characters you ask for.)

Anyway, I'm curious, Behdad. Does your "yet" suggest that there are
plans for supporting cairo-based font selection in pango? Something
else?