[cairo] Converting SVG images to PNG

Chad J chadj at postboredom.org
Mon Aug 25 17:57:32 PDT 2008

Hello Everyone,

First some backstory:
I'm developing a game.  It's going to be a 2d game.  I'd like to use SVG
in it since SVG scales nicely to a wide range of resolutions without
losing detail, and the ability to zoom in and out on sprites without
losing detail is quite nice.  Also, SVGs can be made easily with
Inkscape.  It needs to run on both Windows and Linux at least, hopefully
Mac OS (Intel) too.

What I'd like to be able to do:
I want to be able to render or convert SVG images into a more convenient
format to work with internally, like a texture with raw pixel data that
can be drawn.  Note also that the game needs to ship with everything it
needs to run (within reason), so that the player's first experience
isn't tracking down dependencies.

Now, it seems that Cairo can write to SVG format as is, but drawing from
SVG requires rsvg.  Now, rsvg is a bit troubling since it has gnome
dependencies, a website a few years and versions outdated, and little
documentation.  I'd rather not use it.  So, is there still some way to
use Cairo to accomplish these goals?

Thanks in advance,
- Chad