[cairo] Question about how Firefox 3 switching to use cairo as the graphics engine

Gerdus van Zyl gerdusvanzyl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 13:05:06 PST 2008

Gecko/Firefox uses cairo to replace their own custom drawing routines
that implements the drawing part of the gecko API. Firefox extensions
use the gecko API (or XML/JS/SVG/etc), so the switch to cairo is
transparent.

Plugins eg: flash, java use a platform window handle or platform
surface directly that they get through the plugin API that is called
NPAPI. So in that case those plugins do not use cairo at all. see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI and
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Plugins

My understanding comes from reading the mozilla code and blog entries,
so I may be somewhat wrong :-)

~Gerdus