[cairo] Pixman - refactoring of fbFetchTransformed - performance issue

Vladimir Vukicevic vladimir at pobox.com
Mon Feb 18 14:24:07 PST 2008

On Feb 18, 2008, at 2:05 PM, Soeren Sandmann wrote:

> Bertram Felgenhauer <bertram.felgenhauer at googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> That's about 30%. Now the question is, is this acceptable for a
>> refactoring that significantly improves maintainability or not?
>>
>> I'm leaning towards keeping the change.
>
> Agreed, the refactoring is a substiantial readability improvement. We
> should keep the change even with this performance impact.

Er, a 30% performance loss for a common case of minifying/magnifying
an image really doesn't seem acceptable to me.. if it was 3-5%, then
sure, but 30% is really very high.  Can we figure out what's the cause
of the slowdown?  Are we adding more function call overhead, missing
some optimizations, or what?

     - Vlad