[cairo] Fwd: Re: Uniform Line Widths

Bill Spitzak spitzak at thefoundry.co.uk
Fri Feb 22 17:06:52 PST 2008

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

>>> Fixing this for text is even trickier.  When do you lock the ctm?!  At
>>> cairo_set_font_size(), sure.  At cairo_set_font_matrix() too?!  That
>>> kinda doesn't sound right, but makes some sense...  I'll discuss that
>>> more when we consider this change...
>> I'm pretty certain it would be done at the time of the set_font_matrix.
>> I believe font_size should be a convinence wrapper over this, just as
>> you are proposing for the pen.
>
> Problem with it is, people expect that sandwiching between
> "cairo_save(); cairo_scale(2,2);" and "cairo_restore()" should make it
> draw twice bigger text.  If we lock, that wouldn't happen.  Donno.

I don't understand this. I also expect twice-bigger text if the
set_font_matrix is put at the point like you suggest. As I see it, the
matrix given to set_font_matrix() is immediatly multiplied by the ctm
and only that result is stored and used from then on to transform glyphs
to the output surface, thus I also think the resulting matrix is locked
at that point.

The request for the font matrix has to divide the stored constant matrix
by the ctm.