[cairo] Path Gradients

Bill Spitzak spitzak at thefoundry.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 19:28:36 PST 2008

Okay, it is shading with the gradient in straight lines between a fixed
point and the points on the path. There is some mysteries there:
sometimes it indicates that the "brush" can have a different path than
the fill, but there are no examples where they differ. Also no examples
of what happens if the center point is outside the path or not connected
by a straight line to one of the edges due to a non-convex path.

In truth this only looks useful to make the same results that Cairo does
with radial gradients. Shapes that are not round are pretty useless due
to Mach banding (this is the starburst rays you see). However I can
certainly see that this is a more convienent way to specify a radial
gradient.

It is plausable that sufficent emulation could be done by finding the
bounding box of the path and using that and the center point to make a
Cairo radial pattern. This would never produce Mach banding and maybe is
close enough or even better for all the graphics where you do want it.

An alternative would be to directly support this and remove radial
gradients from Cairo. Radial gradients could be emulated by drawing with
this into an off-screen surface and using that as a source.