[cairo] Announcing OpenVG backend

Øyvind Kolås pippin at gimp.org
Fri Jan 25 06:17:32 PST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 1:02 PM, Gerdus van Zyl <gerdusvanzyl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, this is great work! A cursory glance at the sources suggest it
> may even work on windows.

This backend should work on any platform where there is a OpenVG
implementation conforming to the specification. For instance ShivaVG
does work on win32.

> Is this part of the "official" work to get h/w accel on other
> platforms than X or a seperate project?

It isn't official in any other way than that the code is publicly
available. It isn't part of the main cairo repository yet and it
hasn't even gone through testing on actual OpenVG hardware I suspect
that this is something that probably is mainly interesting for mobile
devices, and perhaps through libraries like ShivaVG to achieve
rendering directly to GPU side textures using OpenGL.

Do note however that some backends might be better than others since
this backend doesn't make use of a core OpenVG feature has, persistent
handles for object (amongst them paths). Depending on the
implementation this might make a small or large impact on performance.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/