[cairo] sponsor organizations

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Jul 16 22:34:16 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 11:30 -0500, Thomas Stover wrote:
> Hi I'm looking at putting together a presentation showcasing some of my
> favorite open source libraries for a target audience that has likely
> never heard of them before. So of course there is going to be a section
> in there on cairo. Sometimes when you try to introduce people to things
> they haven't seen, they get this defensive "well if I don't know about
> it, than it must be irrelevant" attitude. To that end, I thought it
> might be beneficial to mention any notable organizations - corporate,
> academic, government, ext. that might be behind cairo. For instance
> someone was mentioning the other day that they were now doing cairo work
> for Intel.
>
> My apologies if this question comes across the wrong way. Obviously the
> real credit of cairo lies with all the individuals behind it.

Understood. So there's no problem answering the question I think. One
might even chase down Jonathan Corbet's scripts for "Who wrote Linux
2.6.20"[*] and do some complex analysis through the git logs.

Not doing that now, I just did a quick:

git grep Copyright -- src | sed -e 's/^.*: //' | sort | uniq |less

And manually filtered it down to the non-individual lines. What came out
(in more or less chronological order as it turns out), is:

	SuSE, Inc.
	University of Southern California
	Red Hat, Inc
	Mozilla Corporation

That's not intended to say much of anything about which organizations
are "supporting" cairo the most, but perhaps it does give you some
recognizable names to share with your friends.

And yes, I am working for Intel now, but that hasn't led to any Intel
copyright lines appearing in the source yet. Soon, I hope. :-)

-Carl

[*] http://lwn.net/Articles/222773/