[cairo] Cairo in Google Summer of Code

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Mar 18 11:35:43 PDT 2008

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 4:27 AM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at thefoundry.co.uk> wrote:
> > Well I can't edit the page but here are mine:

Why not? It's supposed to be a world-editable wiki page, (just
requiring registration first). Did you click the "edit" button at the
lower left of the page?

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:22:27 +0200,
"Gerdus van Zyl" wrote:
> Is it just me or is most of the problems inappropriate for somebody
> like a SoC candidate that is just starting on the cairo code base?
>
> All the sucessfull SoC projects I have seen were
> a) self contained unit - eg. something than does not touch too many
> existing code and can be written "seperately" and then integrated.
> (lookup-table-based rasterizer?)
> b) non controversial - this way the candidate does not fight a part of
> the community
> c) visible and fun - braggable results eg. I made cairo 20% faster!
> See this cool new thing people can do!

That's a great list, Gerdus. Thanks for providing it.

The stroke-width locking proposal does have the problem that a
solution could introduce backwards-compatibility problems, so that's
something potentially unpleasant to inflict on a student.

The "hinting mode" and "'fun' font API" are two things that might have
some amount of controversy in them, which as you said, might make
things un-fun for the student.

The fourth proposal is for addressing the seams issue. I don't think
describing a problem and then saying "come up with a solution for
this" is concrete enough for a student. If the proposal were instead
something like "implement an FSAA approaching within cairo with
such-and-such characteristics" then that would be more appropriate as
a Summer of Code project idea.