[cairo] More info about fbCompositeCopyAreammx

Frédéric Plourde frederic.plourde at polymtl.ca
Thu Mar 27 11:51:08 PDT 2008

Hi Vlad !

Remember that issue you brought up about subimage_copy with 512X512
which made things slower ?
I've got some more news about it...

Since Soeren questionned the precision of giving perf results with only
a small number of iterations, I've used a minimum of 100 iterations on
my perf tests.
Take a look at the newest results about "subimage_copy"...

http://pastebin.mozilla.org/383418

First group of results shows NO GAIN between  pre-mmx and post-mmx versions
except for the 512X512 case alone, which shows 58% speedup... that's weird

The second group of results shows perf GAINS between :  before applying
my patch and after applying my "fbCompositeCopyArea" patch
But these gains, as you noticed earlier, seem to fade out as the image
scales up.

I'll investigate some more about that, but for now, I think the patch
"pixman_OPT_MMX_addFastPath_to_fbCompositeCopyAreammx.patch" is worth it.
Best,
-fred-