[cairo] What is "user" about cairo user fonts?

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Mar 30 13:47:07 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 22:01 +0200, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> Hello Behdad, others,
>
> I have tried to understand what is so "user" about "user fonts" in
> cairo, but failed.

I'll provide an answer as far as I can... although I'm a "user" myself,
not a cairo developer.

It means the program can provide its own glyph rendering function,
unicode->glyph and text->glyph mapping functions.

> Does it mean that cairo user font support does not require a font
> providing subsystem, such as freetype?

Yes, although effectively your providing one yourself. I'm no font
expert though.

> In any way, please consider the API namespace.

Just don't make it any longer if it doesn't need to be!

more_verbose_long_function_names_make_80_character_line_coding_styles_hard ();

Regards,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,