[cairo] Getting cairo.svg

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Tue May 13 09:19:26 PDT 2008

Hi,

I've been searching for the correct package to download and install.
What I need is for the cairo.svg package to be available in Python.
Currently I get:

>>> import cairo
>>> import cairo.svg
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named svg

I want to use Cairo to render SVG to PNG within my program. See for
example the snippet at http://trac-hacks.swapoff.org/ticket/737 for an
example of the kind of thing I want to do.

I'm running Debian "Etch" / "Stable", which has the following packages
installed (note the versions -- how current are these and when was the
svg sub-package added?)

ii  libcairo2           1.6.4-1+b1
ii  libcairo2-dev       1.6.4-1+b1
ii  libcairo2-doc       1.6.4-1
ii  libmono-cairo1.0-ci 1.2.2.1-1etch1
ii  libsvg-cairo1       0.1.6-5
ii  libsvg-cairo1-dev   0.1.6-5
ii  python-cairo        1.4.12-1
ii  python-cairo-dev    1.4.12-1

These are also the latest packages that I can find with apt-cache, so I
suspect that there aren't newer ones in the archive. Is that the problem?

Or do I need a different package entirely?

If I need to do a source installation to get this, I'd like to figure
out what package I need.

Thanks!
Terry