[cairo] Getting real linearly-scalable text

Travis Griggs tgriggs at cincom.com
Thu May 15 23:27:15 PDT 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 5:56 PM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> Hi,
>

> It's quite well-known by now that in cairo animation, text is always
> jagged and jittery, even with all hintings disabled.  The main reason
> for that is that we currently do not support sub-pixel text
> positioning
> and round glyph positions to integers.  Our workaround so far has been
> to recommend cairo_text_path();cairo_fill() instead of
> cairo_show_text().  That's far from perfect, but should do the job.
> Or
> one would think so...  Apparently it doesn't.  So I sat down a while
> ago
> and tried to figure out what's going on.  And I did.
>
> Check the image:
>
>  http://www.flickr.com/photos/behdad/2493693932/sizes/o/
>
> source code is attached.  The left column is what you get from
> cairo_show_text(), the middle one is
> cairo_text_path();cairo_fill(),
> and the last column is if you take the path of the font at size 12 and
> let cairo scale the path, then fill it.  The graph suggests that the
> problem with the middle column is that we are asking FreeType for
> glyph
> outline at each size, and being beat by FreeType's limited precision
> (26.6 fixed type).  In fact, seems like that's contributing to our
> ugly
> show_text() results too.   Needless to say, we want to achieve results
> as good as the third column.
>
> So how do fix this then?  For show_text(), we want to implement
> sub-pixel glyph positioning.  I suggest we do a 4x4 or 8x4 grid.  Each
> glyph then will have up to 32 renderings.  May also make sense to
> add a
> new metrics-hinting mode to just hint the Y metrics.  That's what
> Apple
> does I guess.  Anyway, to implement subpixel positioning, I suggest we
> add something like:
>
> cairo_int_status_t
> _cairo_scaled_glyph_lookup_subpixel (cairo_scaled_font_t *scaled_font,
> 	                             unsigned long index,
> 	                             cairo_fixed_t x, cairo_fixed_y,
> 	                             cairo_scaled_glyph_info_t info,
> 	                             cairo_scaled_glyph_t
> **scaled_glyph_ret);
>
> unsigned long
> _cairo_scaled_glyph_get_subpixel_index (cairo_scaled_glyph_t
> *scaled_glyph);
>

> Basically this will create a new cairo_scaled_glyph_t for each
> position
> on the subpixel grid.  Each position on the subpixel grid also has an
> index, with index 0 mapping to pixel-aligned coordinate.
>
> Raster backends (and the fallback path) then will be changed to:
>
>  - convert glyph position to fixed
>  - fetch the glyph for the fixed position
>  - round the fixed position and render the fetched glyph there
>
> To make it less error-prune we can make the x,y in/out such that the
> rounding is done in one place.  Or better, make it take double x,y as
> input and return int x,y as output.

> [...]

Behdad,

Loved this detailed post. I learned a lot from reading it. Thank you.

One question I have at the end, is how will this effect the cross
platform nature of Cairo? What is the effect, if any, on OSX/Windows
backends. If I ran this code snippet on Windows/OSX, would I expect
similar problems. And will this solution solve it across the board? Or
do things have to be done there?

Thanks again.

--
Travis Griggs