[cairo] Win32 fonts rendered without antialisasing on Win2K, with under Wine

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 3 02:30:43 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 15:24 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm struggling to identify where I need to be looking next to debug
this
> further. I've got a GTK CAD application which I cross-compiled for
> Windows, and have been testing it under wine. We're using pango +
cairo
> for text rendering.
>
> Under Wine, it shows anti-aliased fonts on our drawing canvas, as on
> Linux. When I copy the built tree to my Win2K partition and boot
> windows, I find that the font outlines show no anti-aliasing. I don't
> have any explicit options setting such options in the program, and I'm
> bit confused about why there is a difference in behaviours.
>
> I half expected that I'd compiled freetype / pango / cairo with the
> wrong options, but that doesn't explain why it renders differently
under
> wine.
>
> I tried rebuilding pango + cairo without the freetype backend. (Trying
> to ensure I knew which back end was ending up being used). I still get
> no antialiasing, although I "think" the rendering might have changed
> slightly in my GDK menus. (I don't have a development environment on
the
> Win2K partition, so doing side-by-side tests is rather awkward).

Sorry, its WinXP I have, not Win2K..

Here is are some screenshots of the rendering:

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/screenshots/geda_on_windows1.png
http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/screenshots/geda_on_windows2.png
http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/screenshots/geda_on_windows3.png

Probably best to look at 1 and then 2 or 3.

1 is Black background, coloured text,
2/3 is whitish-grey background, black text.

Both show no anti-aliasing I can detect. Are there any known issues
which prevent anti-aliasing on Windows?

I am using the native Win32 font backends for pango / cairo, without
fontconfig or freetype, I'm rendering from a GDK provided cairo context
during an expose handler.

Best regards,

--
Peter Clifton